Cuisine : Indian | Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 15 to 20 jamuns
Sweet Potato – 1 & 1/2 cup mashed
All purpose flour/Maida – 2tablespoon
Salt – a pinch
Cooking soda – a pinch
Milk – 1 tsp
Oil – deep fry
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Cardamon pods – 3 crushed
Rose water – few drops
Pista/Cashew/Almonds – finely chopped for garnishing
- Pour one inch level of water in a pressure cooker. Wash and cut the potato into big pieces and place it in a bowl which can be kept inside the pressure cooker. Close the pressure cooker and allow it for 3 whistles and then enable it to cool for 20 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potato using spatula or your hand and add the all purpose flour/maida, salt and cooking soda and knead to get smooth dough. Roll jamun balls of desired size.
- Simultaneously prepare the sugar syrup by adding water to the sugar, cardamon pods, rose water and allow it to boil till you get 1 string consistency.
- Fry the Balls in the hot oil until golden brown. The oil should be hot enough when you place the balls and immediately sim down the stove in order to prevent the balls from getting burnt. Drain the cooked balls in paper towel.
- Allow the cooked balls to cool down for 2mins and then immerse it into the sugar syrup. Before you serve give at least 2 to 3hours of standing time for gulab jamun to observe the sugar syrup. Garnish with chopped nuts and your Yummy sweet potato gulab jamuns are ready to be served. Enjoy!