Black gram (Whole urad dal) – 1/2 cup
Rajma – 3 tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 & 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1, large
Milk/Cream – As needed
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ginger, Garlic Finely chopped – 1 tsp each
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Bay leaves – 1
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
1. Soak black gram dal and rajma in water overnight. Remove water from it and pressure cook it for 3 to 4 whistle by adding fresh water and salt.
2. Mash the cooked dal slightly. Heat oil in a kadai and add the items given for tempering.
3. Chop the onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic. Now add the finely chopped garlic and ginger, onions and salt.
4. Once the onion turns golden brown add the tomatoes. Wait till the tomatoes turn mushy. Then add all the spice powders (turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder). Saute till the raw smell goes.
5. Pour some more water and let it boil. Now add in the mashed dal. Add the water that is left in cooked dal.
6. After 2 mins of boiling, add the fresh cream and switch off the stove. Dal makhani is ready to serve with chapathi, roti and rice. Enjoy!